December 28, 2013

FRANGIPANE MINCE PIES

mince pies If you are one of those people who can’t stand the sight of another mince pie by the time New Year’s Eve is nearly upon us, then read no further.  If, on the other hand, mince pies are high on your list of favourite things about Christmas, read on.

My mum used to make dozens of mince pies in the week before Christmas and we consumed them gratefully.  In fact they were so popular with our family that my dad had a mince pie in his packed lunch most days in most months of the year. 

Sadly, Nick is not too keen on them so I rarely make more than a dozen myself, but this year I decided to try a different recipe.  There are plenty of recipes for frangipane mince pies and the good thing about them is that you get less pastry and a nice light almond sponge topping instead.  I chose a recipe in “Mary Berry’s Christmas Collection” and modified it slightly to include elements that I also fancied from other recipes.

mince pies2 I added some chopped apple and orange zest to the mincemeat along with a good measure of brandy.

mince pies3

It’s always a relief when the end result looks like the picture in the book and these mince pies really were a picture!  Instead of glazing them with apricot jam as per the recipe I dusted them with icing sugar in the usual way.  I thought the jam would make them sticky and difficult to store or pack in boxes to give away. mince pies4 They were a hit with everyone, including Nick, who liked them enough to suggest I bake another batch now that the first lot have all gone.  Success !!

You can find Mary Berry’s original recipe in several places including here, but this is my version of them:

Ingredients

For the pastry:

175g plain flour

75g cold butter, cubed

25g icing sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

For the mincemeat filling:

1 x 312g jar Wilkin and Sons Tiptree mincemeat (my favourite)

½ eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks

zest of one orange

2 tblsp brandy

For the frangipane topping:

100g spreadable butter such as Lurpak

100g caster sugar

2 eggs

100g ground almonds

1 tblsp plain flour

½tsp almond essence

a few flaked almonds for sprinkling

Method

Make the pastry in a food processor in the usual way, cover in cling film and chill in the fridge while you make the topping etc.

Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180° fan / gas mk 6.  Grease two patty or bun tins.

Spoon the mincemeat into a small bowl and combine with the apple, orange zest and brandy.

To make the frangipane topping, put the butter and sugar into the (unwashed) food processor and process until light and creamy.  Add the eggs and process again.  Finally add the ground almonds, flour and essence and mix briefly to combine.

Roll out the pastry thinly and cut into circles to line the tins, re-rolling scraps of pastry to use it all up.  A 6½ cm cutter worked best for my tins.  Add a level tsp of mincemeat to each circle, resisting the temptation to put too much in each one, because if you do it will definitely boil over!  Spoon a dessertspoon of almond mixture on top of each tart.

Sprinkle a few almond flakes on each tart and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy.  Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar.

Makes 24 mince pies (at least).

8 comments:

  1. I think you've cracked it, Jean! Not only do they look lovely but you've won Nick over too. I imagine the addition of apple and orange zest would combine really well with the almond sponge topping. You've given me an idea for the succession of visitors we have coming over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, as there is so little flour in the recipe I'm sure you could very easily make it gluten free.
      Mary also has instructions for a single large tart if it's better for entertaining.

      Delete
  2. No ground almonds in the house, but this is definitely one to try next year. Mmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, why wait nearly a whole year............?!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum. I was eyeing up Nigella's frangipane mince pies the other day, but I've run out of mincemeat. may be I'll be able to get some reduced now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious and would suit me as I'm not overly keen on mince pies and there looks to be less mincemeat in each pie. I love almonds. Tim, on the other hand loves mince pies and I caught him with a sneaky one not more than 15 minutes ago!!

    We have some friends coming tomorrow so I shall bake some in the morning? I haven't got ant Tiptree, but I do have a lovely jar of citrus mincemeat which was given to me by Tim and Pauline.

    Have you baked another batch for Nick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaynor, not yet but he just this minute suggested I make another batch as he demolished the last one!
      Tim and Pauline's citrus mincemeat would be superb for them I think.

      Delete
  5. I've got to confess that mincemeat is not something that I get too excited about but I do think it combines well with the joy of frangipane. I've managed to avoid most mince pies this year, but I certainly wouldn't turn down one or two of these.

    ReplyDelete