November 27, 2013

ORANGE AND BANANA YOGHURT CAKE

banana cake

It’s the usual story.  A couple of very sad looking bananas in the fruit bowl and a guilty conscience about throwing them out.  Not that many years ago they would simply have gone in the bin and I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.  Then I started putting them in the compost bin which made me feel very smug and virtuous.  More recently I have put them in the freezer for use later but the freezer has quite a few in it already.   So to ease my conscience I just had to bake something.

How’s that for an excuse to bake a cake ?!

banana cake2banana cake3

I also found half a large tub of plain yoghurt in the fridge and a few oranges about to become slightly past their best at the bottom of the fruit bowl.  After a bit of research it appears that bananas and oranges do go together so I decided to go for it, using up most of my leftovers in one guilt-free bake.

banana cake4

Lulu gave me that “who do you think you’re kidding?” look.  She can be extremely perceptive at times and we both knew that as Nick absolutely loathes cooked bananas in any form, the only person available to eat the cake would be yours truly.  Sadly, dogs are not allowed cake in this house.

banana cake5

I adapted a recipe on the Channel 4 website which was actually written for children (and has since disappeared).  It was indeed very easy and produced a huge quantity of mixture, far too much for my large loaf tin.  So I made some of it into six muffins.

The muffins were fabulous.  Nice and moist with a lovely light texture.  This could be my favourite recipe for banana muffins from now on.

The cake was lovely too.  The orange and banana combination worked very well and I would definitely do that again.  I drizzled some orange icing over it to glam it up a bit but with literally only me to eat it, it was beginning to be past its best after three days.  I had taken the precaution of freezing some thick slices but by the third day I couldn’t eat any more so a small piece went in the bin after all.  Still, at least I tried so my conscience is clear.

I am submitting the cake to this month’s Alphabakes Challenge, organised by Ros of The more than occasional baker and, this month, by Caroline of Caroline Makes.  This month the letter is “O” and you can see the details here.

Ingredients

120ml sunflower oil

225g light muscovado sugar

3 large eggs

225g self-raising flour

1tsp ground cinnamon

zest and juice of one orange

2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed

150ml low fat natural yoghurt

2tbslp golden icing sugar

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160° fan / gas mk 4.  Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin or use a greaseproof paper liner.

Put the eggs, oil and sugar into a large bowl and whisk together.

Sift in the flour and cinnamon and stir in gently, do not over mix.

Add the mashed bananas, yoghurt and orange zest and stir.

Spoon the mixture into your loaf tin to about two thirds full.  (Make muffins from any remaining mixture.)

Bake for about an hour, until risen and golden.  (Muffins will be done in 15-20 minutes.)

When cold, make some icing with the sifted icing sugar blended with enough orange juice to achieve the right runniness and drizzle over the cake.

Makes 6 muffins and one cake that will cut into 8-10 slices.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good excuse to bake a cake to me! Dogs aren't allowed cake in this house either, much to Fred's disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very thrifty recipe that looks very nice too! Thanks for sharing with Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. this sounds good. I have the oranges and the bananas, but not the yoghurt. Let me think....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've often used up bananas in cakes but never with oranges. It sounds like a fine combination. An orange icing sounds like a fine way to top it off too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bananananana date cake would be the one made here...
    but this sounds scrummy... too!!
    I wonder if three babababannnnanas would work... ours get frozen in threes for the above mentioned BDC....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three bananas might make it a bit too moist, but you could increase the other ingredients and make more mixture to use them all up!
      The muffins were especially good, you would like them I think!

      Delete
    2. Or just try adding orange zest to your date cake recipe, i bet that would be scrummy !

      Delete
    3. Or or something completely different how about this:
      http://www.belleaukitchen.com/2013/12/coffee-chocolate-banana-cake-with.html

      Delete