March 23, 2012

SWEET POTATO AND SMOKED FISH PIE

fish pie1

I recently bought this book from the book selection that gets delivered to work every so often.  (Although in actual fact most of the stuff in the box is not books these days but toys and other things.)  I took this one home first, on the day the box of books arrived, to see what Nick thought of it and if it was worth buying.  We used it that same evening to cook a fish pie which was very good so I ordered one.

fish pie1a

We have used it quite a lot, cooking several of the fish, chicken and pasta recipes with great success.  Many of the recipes can be adapted to use whatever ingredients you fancy or happen to have in the fridge.  On that first occasion I made my fish pie using one of those packs of fish pie mix, containing pieces of white fish, smoked fish and salmon.  In principle you use the Philadelphia cream cheese to bind ingredients together in the same way as you would a sauce, for a pie, gratin or pasta dish.

fish pie2fish pie3a

To make the fish pie, you skin the fish and cut it into chunks.  Boil some sweet potato, carrots and parsnips.  Make the sauce using the Philadelphia in your chosen flavour by mixing it with a little milk.  Pour the sauce over the fish, mash and spread the vegetables over the top and bake.

fish pie3fish pie4

fish pie5

It makes a very quick and easy meal, is reasonably low in fat if you use one of the Philadelphia Light varieties and, because it’s not a flour-based sauce, is gluten free.

We have made alternatives using leeks and bacon with the fish.  You could of course just use ordinary mashed potato as a topping.  The variations are endless.

Naturally there is a section at the back of the book for desserts with some yummy-looking cheesecakes, which I have yet to explore properly !!

fish pie6

We usually bake the fish skin as a treat for Lulu, too.

Here’s my version of sweet potato and smoked fish pie.

This is what I use

1 medium sweet potato, or half a large one

1 large carrot or 2 small ones

1 large parsnip or 2 small ones

300g approx of smoked fish, dyed or not, as you prefer, or a combination of smoked and unsmoked fish.  Fish pie mix is ideal.

2 tablespoons Philadelphia Light with garlic and herbs

2 tablespoons milk

salt and pepper

milk and butter for mashing

This is what you do.

Peel and cut the vegetables into cubes.  Put into a pan of boiling water and boil for 15 minutes, or until soft enough to mash.

Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°fan/gas mk 5.

Remove the skin and any bones from the fish and cut into chunks.  Put the chunks in an ovenproof dish of appropriate size for two people.

Mix the Philly and milk together until they are well combined and you have a smooth sauce.  Pour it over the fish.  Season with salt and pepper.

Drain and mash the veg, using a little milk and butter if you like, and spread on top of the pie mix.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until the topping is browned and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.

Serve hot with green vegetables.

Serves 2.

10 comments:

  1. creamy, buttery, sweet... who could want for more? Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, it was so quick and easy too, perfect for a mid-week meal.

      Delete
  2. That sounds a delicious combination, Jean. We had kedgeree recently when we visited my niece and I'd forgotten how much I like smoked fish. This would make a lovely alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I knew you would like this recipe. It also works well with a combination of smoked and unsmoked fish, as in the original.
      I bet cheesey mash on top would be good, too.

      Delete
  3. Since finding your blog I've been salivating over the cakes, but this has gone right to the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maud, you're very kind, glad you like them !!

      Delete
    2. I now made the fish pie and it was absolutely gorgeous, mixed a little butternut squash into the topping and sprinkled some mozzarella on top - lovely!

      Delete
    3. Hi Maud, I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks for letting me know !!
      It's a really good recipe for adapting, obviously.

      Delete
  4. I just stumbled across you and decided that the title of your blog is perfect for me. I took to baking late in life ( early 50s) never having thought of myself as capable before. I loved it.....and now I have a home in Yorkshire and one in the south of France. Equipping my French kitchen for baking adventures stretched my language skills ( they are developing now though ) and ensuring I knew what ingredients I needed caused a few disasters..... plain & self raising flour ? farine ?????. Anyway, I decided, I will be calling in to your blog frequently..... the answer to my prayers ! best wishes, Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice - welcome !! I have had a few "interesting" results in France due to having the wrong ingredients or lack of proper equipment - then there's the ultimate challenge - French recipes !!
      We are gradually building up our equipment - but the kitchen is so tiny that storing it somewhere is a problem. To think that when we bought the place we thought all we would need is a kettle and a couple of saucepans !! We originally bought the cheapest possible cooker and the smallest possible fridge. We have already replaced the cooker and now have a second fridge in the cellar !!
      I must admit I do still take ingredients with me from the UK, which is cheating really.

      Delete