May 5, 2012

GLUTEN FREE ORANGE AND POLENTA BISCUITS

polenta1

After my disaster with Jamie Oliver’s recipe for orange and polenta biscuits, then the success with the Cookie Girl’s recipe, I was interested to see how this one would turn out.  I found it in the little Hamlyn book, “200 gluten free recipes”.

 polenta2 polenta3 polenta4 polenta5

The recipe uses polenta, rice flour and ground almonds.  You make a dough, chill it for a while, then roll out very thinly before cutting into small rounds.  I didn’t have a suitable cutter in my little French kitchen so I used a small glass.

Interestingly, this is the only thing I have ever used this set of glasses for.  I spotted them in Ikea in Tours and thought they looked cute and the sort of thing we might find useful in our little French cottage.  Silly really, I would never have thought they might be useful in England.  But they were dead cheap, so that’s not so bad.

polenta6You sprinkle flaked almonds on top of the biscuits before baking and a very few minutes later they are done.

And absolutely lovely they were too.  Thin, crispy and very moreish.  In fact the last few were still very crispy two days later – we munched on them on our way back home to England.

polenta7Whether you need a gluten free recipe or not, this one is a winner if you like a light, crispy biscuit that is not too filling.  Perfect with morning coffee or your cup of tea in the afternoon.  Luckily the recipe makes a large batch because as they are so thin and light, just a couple is simply not enough !!

This is what you need.

75g polenta

25g rice flour

25g ground almonds

½tsp cream of tartar

¼tsp bicarbonate of soda

75g icing sugar

50g butter, cubed

1 beaten egg yolk

grated rind of 1 orange

25g flaked almonds

This is what you do.

Put the polenta, rice flour, ground almonds, cream of tartar, bicarb, icing sugar and butter into a food processor.  Blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs.  Add the egg yolk and orange rind.  Process again until a ball of firm dough is formed.

Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/170°fan/gas mk 4.  Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.

Dust a work surface with rice flour and turn the dough out onto it.  Roll the dough out thinly and cut into circles about 4cm dia. 

Put the biscuits on the baking sheets, allowing a little room for spreading.  Sprinkle each one with flaked almonds.

Bake for about 8 minutes until golden.  Leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes then remove carefully and cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes about 20 biscuits.  They keep well in an airtight tin or box.

21 comments:

  1. These sound interesting. When I get back I am going to try them with mealie meal (the south African white meal from maize) it will be interesting to see how they turn out. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, they would be lovely, I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. This is how I can use my polenta flour I have in the cupboard. Beautiful yummy biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, thanks, they were definitely a success.

      Delete
  3. They do look so pretty and practically perfect don't they? I love your improv cookie cutter. Now that's multitasking!! Never baked with polenta flour before so I must give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, I am on the lookout for more polenta recipes to try ... spotted an orange and polenta cake recipe a while ago....

      Delete
  4. John is going to be one happy boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, these are quick and easy too, which would help when you have visitors to cater for !!

      Delete
  5. I really like the look of these. They look like they would be nice with a pudding such as a choc mousse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really useful, Jean, as I have friends who are gluten-intolerant. They look absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, your friends will be pleased, I'm sure, but they're so easy.
      Incidentally, this was the first time I had used rice flour. I got mine in a health food shop but I have seen it since in Sainsbury's I think (or was it on my annual pilgrimage to Waitrose - can't quite remember exactly !!).

      Delete
  7. I love how dainty and cute these are. I've never baked with polenta before but have heard it's nice with orange or lemon flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look cute and delicious! I must try more recipes with polenta. Great use of your glass too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking Addict, I am tempted to try more polenta recipes - or I might just bake more of these !!

      Delete
  9. Jean, since you made these for us when we last visited and then kindly gifted the recipe book to me, these have become a firm favourite with us.

    The only comment I would make on your recipe is that the last sentence is unnecessary. When are there any left to keep???

    I can recommend them with complete confidence. They're quite simply delicious! They've restored my faith in baking. Thank you yet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I'm glad they were a success for you, too.

      Delete
  10. You're making a speciality of polenta biscuits.I must say these do look excellent - just my kind of morning biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I'm glad I didn't give up after one disaster with polenta !!

      Delete
  11. flavours great but I think I used too coarse a polenta. kinda sticks to my teeth. Will absolutely try again with a finer grind!

    thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete