July 6, 2013

“F” IS FOR FINANCIERS (OR FRIANDS).

Financiers are lovely little cakes to make when you want to rustle something up in a hurry.  There is no creaming of butter and sugar, just melting of butter and a light whisking of egg whites and they’re done almost as soon as you have finished washing up the baking dishes!

strawberry and lemon friandsFriands and financiers are pretty much the same cake, just a different shape.  The traditional friand tin produces oval shaped cakes and a financier tin produces oblong cakes.

This time I made strawberry and lemon financiers, using my recipe for blueberry and lemon friands, which you can find on the BBC Good Food website here.  Instead of the blueberries I just placed some sliced strawberries on top and because I was in my little French kitchen I used the financier mould I bought in the cookware section of a French supermarket (I think it was Intermarché).

strawberry and lemon friands3

alphabakes The little cakes are perfect for this month’s Alphabakes challenge,  an event organised by Caroline of Caroline Makes and Ros of The more than occasional baker, which is to bake something including the letter “F”.

strawberry and lemon friands2

They also slip very nicely into this month’s Tea Time Treats challenge, the monthly event run by Kate of What Kate Baked and, this month, by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.  July being the month for fruit we are asked for something baked with fresh fruit.  You can see the details here.

Tea_Time_Treatrs_logoThis is one of those very handy, very adaptable recipes which I have used time and again.  You don’t need to use a friand or financier tin - the cakes turn out perfectly alright baked in an ordinary muffin tin.

Strawberry and lemon financiers.

Ingredients

100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing

125g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting

25g plain flour

85g ground almonds

3 medium egg whites

1 unwaxed lemon, grated rind only

4-5 strawberries, sliced

Method

Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºfan. Generously butter a friand, financier or muffin tin.

Melt the butter and set aside to cool.

Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl.  Add the almonds and, using your fingers, mix everything together.

Whisk the egg whites until they make a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites and lemon rind. Add the melted butter and lightly stir to make a soft batter.

Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and arrange the sliced strawberries on top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until light golden brown and firm to the touch.

Cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Then turn out and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Makes 8 financiers (or 6-8 friands, depending on the tin).

16 comments:

  1. They look gorgeous, Jean. I now just have to decide what to make with the 3 egg yolks - probably mayonnaise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or chocolate mousse.....
      http://bakinginfranglais.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/food-memories-and-taste-buds.html

      Delete
    2. Mousse - of course! Thanks, Jean.

      Delete
  2. Delicious. I like a good financier, although following the banking crises I'm not sure that the words 'good' and 'financier' should go together in any other context than these fine cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious and as it happens I do have 3 egg whites in the fridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't actually sure what financiers were before, though I had heard of them, - thanks for enlightening me! These look lovely and summery - thanks for sending them to Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I do very little baking myself but these look sumptuous Jean. I could see them being polished off my myself very eagerly! Phil x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good Jean. Love the blend of strawberries and lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty! They look perfect for summer - light, fragrant and delicious. Good for outdoor eating too - easy to transport and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really beautiful. I had been struggling to get some financier tins and recently managed to acquire some through a French seller on ebay so will be baking these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so pretty and I bet are scrumptious. I'm now a real fan of friands since discovering them via Phil a couple of years ago. I'd love some proper shaped moulds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choclette, you can get them from Amazon or from:
      http://www.siliconemoulds.com/

      Delete
  10. These look delicious, and to be honest, I was unsure what the difference between a financier and a friand was. Learnt something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I ADORE both Financiers or Friands and how lovely yours look Jean! Thanks so much for entering them into Tea Time Treats! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I found your blog through Karen's and your financiers looked so delicious I had to click through! They look gorgeous and not too hard to bake either :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only recently discovered financiers and I love them! I love your choice of flavour here and they look really good too. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete